Monday, June 14, 2010

God's Family

This is a quote from Fr. Mike Scanlan's book Let the Fire Fall- it is amazing and you all should read it! Fr. Scanlan, TOR is the former president of Franciscan University and is seriously a living saint. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to see him around campus and occasionally have him celebrate a mass!

"The Lord spoke to me about a more fundamental problem. 'You are acting as if I am not with you,' He said. 'You are reaching, pleading, pushing to get to Me. You are serving on your own power. You are trying to do things for Me rather than in Me. The truth is that I am with you. I am your family. I am in you. Start living in the family.'
That moment was a breakthrough in my understanding of who God is and who I am in relation to Him. God is family. The Son is always giving glory to the Father. The Father is always saying He is pleased with the Son. The Holy Spirit is the bond of love between them. The three members of this family are always praying in me, just as they pray in you and in everyone who has been reborn in Jesus Christ. We are never alone. We never need to fear. We always have our family with us.
We don't reach out to God in prayer. Rather we enter into the prayer that is going on within us ceaselessly. We don't look outside ourselves for healing. We recieve the healing graces that flow from the Holy Trinity. We don't struggle to bring God's love to our families, friends, co-workers. Rather, we participate in what God is already doing to bring His grace to those around us. Best of all, the Father is a Father to us just as He was Father to Jesus, for that is exactly what it means to be sons and daughters of God."


take a moment to re-read this. to really ponder it, to let God speak to your heart. I hope it changes your outlook on your prayer life like it did for mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment