Monday, November 22, 2010

Everything is grace

Everything is grace. No matter what the situation, there is always a chance to glorify God. There is always an opportunity to grow in holiness.

This outlook on life has been thrown in my face this week. And I love it. It puts a whole new spin on everything. I can't resent anything that's happened to me in the past, because it's been God's will for me and it is my path to Heaven, my sanctification.

It started with reading a book on St. Therese of Lisieux in my theology of healing class called The Context Holiness. It detailed her early childhood life with her family, and how these experiences had an impact on her emotionally and spiritually. Although she had many trials and sufferings growing up, they became the context of her sainthood. God took a bad situation and made it a chance for her to grow in holiness. He didn't take away the suffering, but instead dove down into it with her and molded her there. Therese was only healed when she experienced God at the bottom of her pit of suffering and pain. Then out of the ashes rose one of the greatest saints of our time. God doesn't take us out of the battle, but gives us the strength to remain in it.

With this all in mind, I had some amazing conversations this week with future household sisters and a professor that brought this concept into my own life. They helped me see that certain people or situations in my past that I have spent a lot of time resenting were actually gifts to me. How, you ask? Because they helped me grow in holiness. They strengthened my relationship with God. And through this I was purified. It is so amazing to look at your past this way. It frees your heart of so much anger, resentment, and frustration. Instead, it is replaced with a sense of peace, forgiveness, and acceptance.

"Joy is not the absence of suffering, but the presence of God." This is how some saints with the worst suffering have the deepest relationship with God and the most joy. Because for them, suffering is not an obstacle to praising God. We are all guaranteed suffering on this earth. But we can find our joy in Jesus Christ. When that happens, nothing can put out the fire of joy in our hearts.

"In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thess 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment