Sunday, August 1, 2010

Being Still

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

This Bible passage has really been on my mind lately. There are so many ways to interpret it. But in relation to my own life, I think it's meant to teach me to stay in the present moment. I spend so much time worrying about the future or analyzing the past that I often forget about the present. I need to be still, and trust that God will take care of everything.

I should be still in more silent prayer throughout the day instead of constantly rushing around to the next thing. It is in the silence of our hearts that God talks to us and sustains us. It's in this silence that I find true peace. It is also in this silence where God teaches us about Himself and where divine wisdom is communicated.

I should be still in my present surroundings instead of wishing I was somewhere else. Out at school last semester I was spending a lot of time wishing I was in Haiti. I was so impatient to get there, and spent so much time thinking about it, that I missed out on a lot of opportunities at school that God put right in front of my face. God's plan is always perfect and He puts us in certain places at certain times for a reason. I need to trust that and keep my eyes are heart open to the ways God wants me to grow and to serve Him in the present moment. I won't be able to effectively serve in the places God will send me in the future if I don't learn what He's trying to teach me in the present.

I should be still in my anxieties about my future vocation. I spend so much time worrying about the future- whether I'm called to be a missionary, religious sister, wife and mother, or consecrated lay person. I need to learn to live with the question and trust that there's a reason why God isn't telling me right now. Maybe He knows I wouldn't be able to handle the answer. This period of uncertainty is also a way for me to grow so much in trust and patience and humility.

Lord, help me to be still and know that You are God.

No comments:

Post a Comment